The Set Up
More Thread Related News
Aurifil, Italy's premium thread manufacturer is making some changes. In an attempt to trim costs, they recently announced that they will start shipping all of their thread colours in single large 26,000 metre balls (that's the equivalent of 20 spools, or the distance from our shop to the Toronto Zoo). It will now be up to individual Fabric and Sewing Shops to wind the thread ourselves onto spools to sell to our customers. We don’t have the resources to do this with the current team so have decided to create a new opportunity.
Position – Principle Thread Spooler
Primary Responsibilities – Spooling thread.
Requirements – Candidates should have
- knot tying skills
- ability to measure 1 metre and count to 1300
- ability to differentiate between Midnight, Dark Navy and Very Dark Navy
Compensation – commensurate with experience
As an added incentive - Employees will be able to keep and take home any thread that sticks to them.
All applicants will be considered and our favourite applicant will be awarded a free spool of Aurifil thread in a colour of their choosing.
The winning submissions for our Principle Thread Winder job are
#1 - Ilana
I would like to apply for your open position of “Principle Thread Spooler”. This would be an ideal job for me because I love to follow the threads!
Here are some of my past experiences that demonstrate my abilities:
- Three years experience untangling Christmas lights. Seasonal.
- Detangling hair of children for 13 years. Full-time.
- Un-knitting and spooling yarn from sweaters that no longer fit due to Covid-related body expansions. One year experience.
- Macrame plant hanger making experience from the original macrame era in the 1970s.
- Previous job counting beans all the way to 1350.
While I do not have previous work experience differentiating between various shades of dark blue, I have had to sort laundry based on colour, and I believe I can learn on the job.
If hired, I would be happy to be the primary thread spooler ("Principal Thread Spooler”), and/or indeed, I am qualified to live up to the title of "Principle Thread Spooler". I will scour the floor to collect any escaped thread. Waste not want not! Also, I can be called upon in case of emergencies. Perhaps we can expand our services and offer Mobile Spooling Service house calls!
I sew eagerly await your reply.
#2 - Anne
I’d like to apply for the Principle Thread Spooler position.
Here are my qualifications:
- I have a great deal of experience spooling thread. I use Aurifil 2370 for my EPP work, and carry a spool of it in my EPP carry all at all times. I overstuff the bag, so the thread is constantly rubs against and unspools a couple of layers at the top of the spool. I carefully unravel great lengths of it and spool it back on. Why do I overstuff my EPP bag? So that I am prepared for any disaster or layover for longer than planned.
I have incredible knot tying skills – often within the first 5 seconds of unrolling a length of thread to thread a needle I have a large knot a few inches from the end that cannot be taken out by any human with any amount of effort.
I have accurate measuring skills. I don’t even need a measuring tape or ruler. One metre is the length from the tip of my nose to the end of my middle finger – give or take a half a foot. This will speed up the process of spooling whenever your shop has large shipments to spool.
- I bet I could count all the way to 1305 if I set my mind to it. I definitely have the counting skills. I can probably count in French as well, so that I don’t annoy my co-workers by counting out loud in English all.the.time.
- My sense of colour is keen – it will probably be better once I have the cataracts removed from my eyes.
- I am incredibly patient. I have been married to Scott for more than 30 years.
- I’m very thrifty, and will be sure to wear a lot of knit clothes while working to take full advantage of your incentive opportunity. As per my first qualification described above, I am always prepared.
You can reach me at this e-mail address, or at xx-xxx-xxxx .
Both Ilana and Anne are getting a spool of Aurifil thread in the colour of their choice!