The tattoo quilt is no ordinary quilt.
It is an epic voyage into your heart, via your sewing space, that will take you to places of excitement, frustration, delight, self-reflection ...and eventually awesome empowerment! The quilt was design by Berene Campbell, and began in January 2017, one block per month, each with one word that was relevant to current affairs that month.
The quilt captures her journey of searching for positivity during a challenging time of political turmoil worldwide. Berene designed the blocks in the style of vintage tattoos because, like tattoos, the events that were occurring in the world were indelible and cannot be erased from our history. Tattoos are also used historically as a means of documenting events in people’s lives. Her goal for this quilt was to process our feelings, and to provoke dialogue and empathy across borders, whether those borders be geographical, political, religious or even within your friends and family.
Berene is hosting a Tattoo Quilt Sew Along starting in June and will be sharing her knowledge, insights and trouble shooting tips to help you complete this
project. Whether you join the Sew Along or just love the quilt and want to make it yourself, this kit was designed to help you make a stunning quilt, using foundation paper piecing, a LOT of fabric, and a beautifully designed patterns (plus, of course, a few treats).
This listing is a pre-order for the fabric and pattern to make the Happy Sew Lucky Tattoo Quilt. We will ship the kits as soon as our supply chain, slowed down by the pandemic, delivers all of the goods needed to complete each version of the kit.
Finished quilt size is: 63” x 72”
Included in the kit
- The fabric to make the quilt top including four options for the background fabric. NOTE - All of the coloured pattern fabrics are solids and are a combination of Kona and Free Spirit. There are almost 15 yards of fabric in the kit. You need to choose which background fabric you want in your kit. You can choose between the Cotton & Steel Speckled (from Berene's original quilt), solid "Winter white" or solid "Manatee" and leave room for some quilting magic, or Fairy Dust in Whisper (like Tula's version of the Tattoo Quilt, see the link below).
- A memory stick with the full pattern, all 158 pages of instructions and paper piecing templates. Note - The pattern includes:
LOVE, HOPE, GRACE, WISDOM, TRUTH, COURAGE, FURY, MOXIE, RESPECT, PEACE (cranes) & OPEN HEART OPEN MIND tattoo pattern
- If you purchase the kit here, you will also get some bonus patterns - an additional "Peace" block pattern with a peace sign, and the heart with banner pattern you can use to make a label for the back of the quilt, or just any time you want a special place to embroider a name or message.
- A 5” x 7” matte vinyl sticker sheet with 10 customers cut stickers of the 10 tattoo border blocks.
- You will provide your own binding, backing and batting.
Please sign up for the Happy Sew Lucky Tattoo Quilt Newsletter to get your monthly updates, tips and insights from Berene. You can also sign up for the private Facebook page, just for participants. Find it here.
Emails will be sent on the 15th of each month and the blocks will be made in the following order
December: PEACE CRANES
April: OPEN HEART OPEN MIND (banners only)
May: OPEN HEART OPEN MIND (heart) & discussion about final assembly
Looking for a little inspiration? Have a look at the studio tour recently posted on Tula Pink's Instagram page. She's working on the Tattoo Quilt.