Appliqué has been around for just about as long as sewing. It was originally used as a method to repair clothing and has since transformed into its own art form. Why not explore a new technique to apply to this classic embellishment?
Simplifying the process; you will learn how to applique without any markings on the front of your work! You will trace your chosen image to the back of your fabric with the use of a lightbox (which will be supplied). This method works best with medium or light coloured background fabrics but you will learn how to transfer your applique images onto darker fabrics as well. You will learn the basic applique stitch as well as other helpful tips.
In this fun, 3 hour workshop you will work on one applique image on a 14" square of fabric. You can then turn your block into a cushion, a quilt block or even frame it up creating your own personal art piece.
Teacher - Carolyn Loewen
Saturday May 13th 1-4
great for beginner to advanced sewists
Supplies to bring with you:
- your choice of one of the pictured patterns (or your own that is similar in size and detail)
- medium or light coloured background fabric in 14" squares
- desired fabric pieces for your applique pattern
- straight sewing pins
- size 10 or 11 applique or millner needles
- size 5 or 6 sewing needles (Unique sells a package of straw millner needles with a mix of sizes - all the needles you would need)
- thimble (if you use one)
-small, sharp scissors